April is Conversion Optimisation month and to kick off the month, we’re going to talk about the 2nd most important page on your website…
In the hundreds of websites I’ve studied over the years, this particular page often ranks #2 in the most viewed pages on your site. It’s your ‘About Us’ page.
– – – Your About page is not about YOU, it’s about THEM! – – –
Nobody cares that you started in 1883; they want to know how you’re going to help them solve their problem/s. So think about tuning into the WII FM (the ‘What’s In It For Me’ station as Seth Godin says). Got it? Okay great, let’s move on to what you can do TODAY to improve your conversions outta sight…
Here’s My Top 5 ‘About Us’ Page Quick Fixes:
- Re-Write Your Heading: Instead of your page heading saying ‘About Us’ change it to something really compelling that’s aimed head-on at your audience’s emotional hot spots. Eg, ‘Here’s Why We Believe Your Dyslexic Child Can Succeed In School’. See how it’s all about the visitor? Now you have a go.
- Tell Your Story: Everybody loves a story and I bet they want to hear yours. Why did you start your business? What are you passionate about? Why and how do you get a kick out of helping your customers? Rewrite your story with two main points in mindA) Make it real and B) Make it about them.
- Include Testimonials: Let your customers get in on the parade of telling your story. Throughout the page, sprinkle through some great testimonials to show how you’ve helped other customers. It’ll do wonders for establishing trust and for social proof, if you’ve got some great Facebook comments or tweets, take a screenshot and include those as an image as well.
- Include Real Photos: If you can afford a professional photographer by all means do it but if not, get a friend or colleague to come over and take some authentic, in the moment shots of you and/or your team. These will go a looooong way in establishing your virtual relationship so it’s well worth the effort.
- Include a Call to Action (CTA): So they’ve read your about page, what’s next? Think about the logical next step in their journey through your website. It’s pretty safe to say this is the second page they’ve looked at on your site so what do you want to be the third? View your product range? Learn more about your services? Make sure you make it glaringly obvious at the bottom of page (and throughout if it’s long) by creating a big graphical button or big text CTA pushing them along.
Not too hard are they? I guarantee if you make these changes, you’ll see more conversions through your website. Seriously!
If you’re an eager beaver like me and have a bit more time to dedicate to your website, check out this ultimate conversion checklist that took Bianca Board 10 years of trial and error to put together. It’s packed with tons of quick fixes that could literally double your conversions overnight. No joke.